Sunday, November 25, 2012

Section 4: Human Performance Technology

According to the text book, a “performance problem” is workers not performing adequately on the job.  I teach PE. I am the only teacher in my classes and I have anywhere from 28 to 35 students in all my classes. It’s nearly impossible for me to efficiently get all my students within their healthy fitness level as required in a state mandated test called the Fitnessgram, due to the time and lack of personnel. This I feel is a performance problem. I desire the results of good health for all my students, but my energy, patients, lack of resources, and environmental support defeats me and my goals for my students. I believe if I had and more staffing, like an aide, I could be able to accomplish these state goals

  A performance support system (PSS) is “a system that provides the user with information, guidance, and learning experiences where ever and whenever a user needs it”.  (http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwitr/docs/nextgen/index.html The Fitnessgram is my performance support systems that helps aid and guide me to know where my students are health/fit wise or where they need to go to be fit and healthy. The Fitnessgram is a good PSS because it gives me the flexibility to customize the program to my students needs.

 Having explicit knowledge along with tacit knowledge will help me manage my lessons and students.  Explicit knowledge will help me document each student’s strengths and weakness. And tacit knowledge will help me know what lessons/exercises are the most successful in getting my students performance ready for the Fitnessgram.

 Keeping with the same topic of the “Fitnessgram”, I believe that all six factors of informal learning help me be a better PE teacher for my students. I’ve experienced all six different types of informal learning in my organization or school while facilitating the Fitnessgram. First there is “nature of the outcomes”. Through informal learning you can gauge and measure the outcome of the student using the Fitnessgram pre-setup program. Second, is “experience”. Year after year of giving the Fitnessgram test, I’ve come to find out the fastest, most efficient ways to administer the test to the students for maximum results or performance. It’s a trial and error at its best. The “origin” is the outside of school training the students do themselves to get their body ready for the test. The “role of the students” this one requires a lot of motivation on my part.  I can’t make the students want to be fit and healthy. All I can do is encourage, encourage, encourage! Next is “Role of the instructor”. This is where I collaborate with other PE teaches and see what works for them with motivation, types of exercise, and comparing notes and ideas on how to best use the Fitnessgram as a learning tool and not a tool that sets the students up for failure. And finally, the “role of the instructional designer”, this is where I as the PE teacher will crunch my numbers and send the results to the state. I will report to the stakeholders the positive and negative things of the Fitnessgram program.

 All in all, fitness and technology seem like two opposite ends of the spectrum. But with quality training and high-quality programs, I think they can work side by side to accomplish unbelievable results.  
 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ro,

    Using the FitnessGram as a type of performance support is a great idea. I had never thought of it in quite that way. You can record data from all students in the Fitnessgram software and see if there are any areas from the last year in which the whole group was lacking achievement. You could work on improving them that way, of course I bet you already knew that. Are you able to pull up last years results? Does the software offer suggestions on how students might improve? I think being fit is so important and I have helped give the fitness gram at our school and I agree with you fitness and technology together can accomplish unbelievable results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I enjoyed reading your post. Isn’t it funny how we learn so much through informal means? You did a great job of really pointing out the things that you have learned informally and how they specifically tie in to your area of work. It’s the on the job experience, and trial and error that often gives us the best outcomes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen our PE teacher use technology in so many fantastic ways! It is great that you are incorporating it into your gym setting also! Fitness is so important and this is a great area to show kids some trends of their fitness levels with Fitness Gram! I think it would be a tremendous motivator for students to be able to see their increase in fitness levels from the beginning of the year to the end of the year or at regular intervals! What a fantastic program to have at your fingertips!

    ReplyDelete